Sunday, October 30, 2016

New Alzheimer’s Novel: Brought to Our Senses by Kathleen H. Wheeler

I blog about early onset Alzheimer’s, and authors often ask me to read their books. If I believe I can squeeze in the time to read another book, I’ll ask for an electronic copy.

A few months ago, I had the privilege of reading a prepublication copy of Brought to Our Senses by Kathleen Wheeler, release date November 1. I don’t want to gush, but this is one of the best Alzheimer’s novels I’ve read…and I’ve read a lot of them.

Brought to Our Senses explores the family dynamics when early onset Alzheimer’s strikes the Kraus family’s mother. A dysfunctional family must reshape their differences to deal with the unthinkable. The distinct characters and the storyline make this a page-turner. This spellbinding story is so real to life that it is easy to forget it is a novel and not a true story.

I liken the quality of this book to that of Still Alice. If you only have time to read one Alzheimer’s novel this year, I would recommend this one.

Kathleen has kindly provided some background for me to share with my blog followers:  

Tell a Great Story: First and foremost, I wanted to tell a compelling story, one that just sucks you in from the get go. I’ve been drawn to reading and writing since I was a kid and have always wanted to write a novel. Once I grasped the premise for my book and realized what a great story it was, I just couldn’t let it go. I had to write it.
 
Build Awareness: I had other reasons for sharing the story too. Alzheimer’s was extremely traumatic for my family, and I’ve been changed by the experience. I wanted to share the reality of the illness, and I wanted to emphasize the importance of strong family relationships to get through such an ordeal.
 
Give Back: Finally, I wanted to do something positive for the community, something that would help others struggling with the difficulties of dementia. So I’m donating a portion of proceeds from the sale of my book to help organizations that support dementia patients, family caregivers, and research to find a cure.

Upcoming events: Here are a couple of those groups with events already lined up for my book’s release. If you’re in central Illinois, stop by or attend to see me and help with the efforts of these fine organizations:

SIU School of Medicine Center for Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders
Alzheimer’s Awareness Educational Program

Free and open to public, register before or at the door as space permits
November 5, 2016 (Saturday) from 9 am – 12 noon

Memorial Center for Innovation and Learning
M.G. Nelson Family Auditorium
228 West Miller St, Springfield, IL

Alzheimer’s Association – Greater Illinois Chapter
Book Signing Benefit
November 15, 2016 (Tuesday) from 4:30 – 6:30 pm

County Market Mezzanine
210 E Carpenter St, Springfield, IL 62702

For up-to-date information, visit Kathleen’s author website:


Copyright © October 2016 by L.S. Fisher
http://earlyonset.blogspot.com

No comments: