Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Why I Walk to End Alzheimer's

Jim Fisher
Jim is the reason I walk in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s.

I think I loved him from the first day we met when his Uncle Orvie introduced us outside the Dew Drop Inn in Stover. It was by chance that Jim was in Missouri since he spent a lot of his growing up years in Oregon, Idaho, Utah, California... Jim loved to travel and we often went to Oregon to visit his relatives and childhood places. Later, we went to Estes Park and the Rocky Mountains annually.

Jim was a talented musician who loved to play his Fender guitar and sing country songs. I remember one time I taped him with our gigantic video camera singing “Colorado” while chipmunks and tourists stopped everything to just soak up the sunshine, clear mountain air and melody. Jim’s life was cut short when he developed dementia at forty-nine. He passed away in 2005 after ten years living with a disease that robbed him of his talents, sense of humor, and thoughtful conversation.

Jim lives in my memory and dreams, and I know that he is not forgotten by his family and friends. We need to stop this disease before more families go through the loss and pain of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementia. Walks are held across the country. If you can’t come to the September 7 Sedalia Walk. Join a walk near your hometown. Walk for Jim. Walk for your loved ones. Walk for more than 5 million Americans with this incurable progressive disease.

copyright (c) September 2013 by L.S. Fisher
http://earlyonset.blogspot.com

No comments: