Monday, July 24, 2023

I Love a Parade

 

The hallmarks of Independence Day are fireworks and parades. Because of the dry weather, backyard fireworks were in short supply. It was unusual to pass by fireworks stands and notice they had no customers. Most people opted to the big displays provided by communities throughout the nation.

 Our Walk to End Alzheimer’s Committee has participated in the parade for several years. We toss candy, bracelets, and T-shirts to the crowds who mostly line the shady side of the street. One of our corporate sponsors has provided golf carts that we decorate in red, white, blue, and purple. This year, our walk manager and her family joined us with a decorated truck.

After the puny polka-dot rains we had before the 4th, I wouldn’t have been surprised if it hadn’t rained on our parade. The day of the parade, I carried my purple polka-dot umbrella so that I had shade from the sun while waiting for the parade to begin.

The parade is a lot of fun. Along the route, we see people of all ages decked out in their patriotic colors, smiling, waving flags, and enjoying life in these United States of America.

As we ride down Ohio Street, we pass by majestic historic buildings, some of which have witnessed more than a century of parades. We see the courthouse with its statues honoring those who fought for our freedom. Although I can’t see them, I know that we pass close to the bricks alongside the sidewalk in front of the courthouse honoring veterans—including Jim and my dad.

 I smile and wave at the crowd occasionally spotting someone that I know. When I’m in a parade, it seems to go by quickly.

There’s something about a parade that just makes my heart smile. I love a parade!

 

 

Copyright © July 2023 by L.S. Fisher

http://earlyonset.blogspot.com

#ENDALZ

 

No comments: