Saturday, May 27, 2023

Life Happens

 

The most unpredictable moment in time is tomorrow. Although we may have an idea of what tomorrow will bring, it may not resemble the actual events.

Real life can turn routine into chaos. We all know the horror of answering the phone and hearing of an accident, a terminal diagnosis, or a death in the family. The same device can bring us unexpected joy when we hear of a birth, an engagement, or someone who lands her dream job.

Life happens while we make plans. When you think about it, so much of life can sometimes seem to be random events strung together in a haphazard order.

I feel like my life is a billion piece jigsaw puzzle that was whirled up into the stratosphere and came to earth a piece at a time to form a picture that became my life. As with all good puzzles, you can’t force the pieces together—they fit or they don’t.

I became the person I am based on all the misfortunes, adventures, failures, triumphs, and experiences that happened throughout the more than 26,000 days I have lived on this planet.

The older I get, the more I forget. I only remember a fraction of the billion pieces of my puzzle. Although some of the pieces fell together as they should have, it seemed that from time to time, they were swept off the table and thrown into the floor to be picked up and, hopefully, fit back together.

I met Jim through a chain of events that could have easily never happened. We pursued a relationship against the odds that it would work out. Early in our marriage, our richer and poorer was definitely poorer. Late in our marriage, the sickness and health turned out to be sickness. The part we nailed was “to love and to cherish.” Until death do we part, turned out to be how our story ended, or did it?

The picture of my life fell apart and rearranged into a new picture. I gathered up the knowledge I gained through Jim’s dementia and shared it through my writing. Our story lived through my recollections. My fallible memory was bolstered by the pile of tapes I recorded while we journeyed through the land of dementia.

It’s a lot easier to recall the main events of life than to recall a conversation that took place on an uneventful day. How many days are really that memorable during a lifetime? Maybe an algorithm exists that could calculate an average number of red-letter days for an average life. Let’s be realistic, no one lives an average life. Until we exit this world, life happens as it is intended for each of us.


Copyright © May 2023 by L.S. Fisher

http://earlyonset.blogspot.com

#ENDALZ



No comments: