Monday, August 2, 2021

For What Ails You

When I first retired, I had a lofty goal of eating one “super food” each day. I followed that plan for a while, and I admit that I felt better. It wasn’t a New Year’s resolution, but it might as well have been for how long I complied with my own rules.

Several super foods lists exist, but the one I saw had berries, fish, leafy greens, nuts, olive oil, whole grains, legumes, and tomatoes. It really isn’t hard to have at least one of those each day if I could just stay away from unhealthy foods.

 

It’s easier to eat healthier in the summertime, but when winter rolls around, it takes a little more planning. One thing I’ve always thought of as a cure-all is green tea. I’ve stopped colds dead in their tracks with green tea. I always add a little bit of honey for a cough or a sore throat.

 

I only know that green tea works for colds because of my own experience. That didn’t even make the list of possible benefits of drinking green tea. The long list of benefits includes that green tea might improve brain function.

 

How could that be? Apparently, tea has enough caffeine to keep you alert, but without coffee jitters. The caffeine is paired with an amino acid L-theanine to cross the blood-brain barrier to increase the firing of neurons. Early studies indicate that green tea can protect your brain as you age and maybe reduce your risk for Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.

 

According to some studies, green tea can help you lose weight by boosting metabolism. Of course, not all studies found the same outcome. At least it shouldn’t make you gain weight, so that’s a plus.

 

The antioxidants in green tea reduce risk for cancer. Studies have shown a lower risk of breast cancer, prostate cancer, colorectal cancer, and other types of cancer as well.

 

I told you I consider it a cure-all. The more I read, the more I believe I might be onto something. I’m impressed with the possibility of improving insulin sensitivity to help diabetes, and protect my heart health by reducing the cardiovascular disease risk factors.

 

Regardless of all the health benefits of green tea, I find it relaxing to drink a cup of tea. Relaxation is good for blood pressure. Sounds like a win-win-win.  

 

Copyright © July 2021 by L.S. Fisher

http://earlyonset.blogspot.com

#ENDALZ

2 comments:

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

Although I don't drink green tea by itself, I really enjoy it in bubble tea. It has a nice, mellow flavor and complements the fruit and boba in the beverage.

Niraj said...

"There are many causes of short-term memory loss. However, doctors may not always know the cause. Some causes also progress, which means that they may develop into long-term memory loss symptoms over time.

The most common short-term memory loss causes like Normal aging, Dementia, Substance use disorder, Lack of sleep. Other qually impactful causes of short term memory loss are: Illnesses that affect the brain tissue, Brain injuries and tumors, Blood clots in the brain, Brain infections, Stress etc.





"