Tuesday, January 13, 2015

UPDATE: January 15 is Last Day to Vote in Best Health Blog Contest!

Healthline interviewed me for their Facebook page. Here is that interview:

Read about why Linda is participating in the Best Health Blog contest:
1) What inspired you to start blogging?

My husband, Jim, developed dementia at 49 years old. After a series of tests, the doctor told us that Jim had dementia of the Alzheimer's type. I knew nothing about Alzheimer's so my first reaction was, "Isn't there medicine for that?" That was the beginning of the journey where we learned that nothing would slow down the progression of the disease and that it was 100% fatal. Jim died in 2005, ten years after the diagnosis.
I reached out to the Alzheimer's Association before we had a diagnosis, and they became my lifeline. I called myself the Alzheimer's Association poster child because I took advantage of every program and service they offered. I became an Alzheimer's volunteer and advocate as a way of giving back to the Association and extending a helping hand to others who were becoming acquainted with the harsh reality of dementia.
2) What would you do with the money if you won?

I would use the money to help pay expenses to the Alzheimer's Advocacy Forum in Washington, D.C. in March. I'm already registered for the 2015 Forum--my fifteenth consecutive trip to advocate for Alzheimer's research and programs to help care partners cope. Each year, I join hundreds of other advocates as we don our purple "beauty queen" sashes and storm Capitol Hill.
3) What has been your best blogging moment?

My best blogging moment(s) are when someone tells me they have learned something helpful or found encouragement from one of my posts. I think my most thrilling moment was when the national Alzheimer's Association featured a story about Jim and me in their online newsletter with a link to my blog. That was the first time that more than 100 people visited my blog in one day.


No comments: